To all my readers and friends a very Happy and Colorful Holi. To celebrate Holi in a guilt free way, thought of coming up with this Dates fudge/halwa. If you are looking for a gluten free treat made on stove top with no refined sugar, then you have to try this recipe out for sure. This date halwa/fudge takes a little bit of patience and time in making but it is well worth the effort. These are an absolute treat and makes a perfectly guilt free dessert. Made with very few ingredients, they make a perfect treat to pack as a gift for any special occasion.
Once again dessert is dessert, even if it is a guilt free one. It is still a sweet so do not forget to enforce portion control. Dates indeed are a very good source of Iron and doesn’t cause cavities like sugar. But keep in mind two dates have 15gms of sugar and these dry fruits are high in fructose. So if you are on a low sugar diet this dessert is not for you and keep tuned in for desserts made with xylitol which I will post soon or check out my other desserts posted with Xylitol here.
Dates – 2 Cups
Milk – 1 1/2 Cups warm
Almond powder/meal – 3/4 Cup powdered into meal
Almonds & Cashew toasted and chopped – 1/2 Cup
Cardamom powder – 1/2 Tsp
Ghee(Clarified butter) – 4 Heaped Tbsp
1) Soak dates in warm milk for at least 2 hours.
2) Grind almond into fine meal and keep this aside.
3) Toast the almonds and cashew in a toasted or little bit of ghee and chop them into fine pieces and keep it ready.
4) Take a thick bottomed pan and heat it. Add 2 Tbsp of ghee to it.
5) Grind the dates milk mixture into a fine paste along with cardamom powder and pour this in the pan and add the almond meal to it and mix it thoroughly without any lumps.
6) Reserve 1 Tbsp of ghee to be used in the end. Keep on stirring for around 40-45 minutes and in between add little bit of ghee now and then, so that mixture doesn’t stick at the bottom.
7) At this stage the mixture would have thickened and become a thick mass and started leaving the sides of the pan. Now add a tbsp of ghee and the toasted nuts and mix well to combine.
8) Remove this from the stove and pour this in a greased plate and smooth the top. Set it aside to cool down and cut it to pieces of desired size and serve.
Recipe adapted from Ecurry.
|This goes to Cook Eat Delicious Desserts – Refined Sugar & flour free whole some desserts an event hosted by me and started by Raven. ||Sending this to Holi fest event hosted by Kalyani of Sizzling Taste buds. |
|Sending this to Holi Hai hosted by Best of my Kitchen. ||Sending this to Spotlight – Color Holi by Chandrani |
|Sending this to Healthy Morsels event hosted by Taste of Pearl City. ||Sending this to Anjali’s Cakes, Cookies and Desserts event. |